Top tips for keeping safe online
- Don’t follow or befriend people online who you don’t know, even if they are friends of friends;
- Check your settings – keep profiles private and turn off location settings and maps;
- Think before you share anything – make sure you don’t feel pressured to do it and it’s not something you would be upset about if the other person shared it with someone else;
- Don’t believe everything you are told, read or see online;
- If you’re worried about something you see or someone who talks to you online then report it or talk to someone you trust.
Top tips for keeping safe in the real world
- Always make sure someone knows where you are going and who you are meeting (parent, carer, or a friend);
- Question why someone older than you wants to be your friend, boyfriend or girlfriend, or why someone is giving you lots of gifts and attention;
- Building trust takes time – don’t tell someone everything about you before you really know them;
- Be wary of someone trying to make you do inappropriate things – why would someone who cares about you want you to do something illegal or uncomfortable?
- If you feel like a relationship isn’t balanced or fair or you don’t have control then talk to someone you trust about it, or use one of the contacts on this website.