The YMCA Youth Advice Centre (YAC) offers advice, support and guidance to young people in Brighton and Hove. YAC workers are able to offer expertise in a wide range of areas. Our aim is to provide young people in the local area with a safe and friendly environment where they can access helpful advice and support.
We are the first place to go for housing advice for anyone under 26 years old who is homeless or threatened with homelessness. We also offer a family support and mediation service and a support and advice service providing sexual health advice and services, emotional and wellbeing support and benefits and money advice.
Where to find us:
11 St Georges Place, Brighton BN1 4GB
T 01273 624432
Support and Advice
The Support and Advice service is a safe space where any young person age 13-25 can talk to a worker one to one and receive support around a wide range of topics including:
- Sexual health: Pregnancy testing, chlamydia and gonorrhea screening, access to the C Card (free condom) scheme and relationship support.
- Emotional health and wellbeing: Anger management advice, self-esteem support, self-harm, stress and anxiety, bullying support and help accessing mental health support and counselling.
- Debt and benefits: Help filling in forms and support to make claims, budgeting and money management advice and help to access specialist benefit support.
The Support and Advice service operates a daily drop in Monday-Friday 3pm-6pm.
We offer support and advice to young people who are homeless or threatened with homelessness, which includes looking for accommodation in the private rented sector, negotiating with landlords, offering realistic and up-to-date advice on housing and how to pay for it and referrals to specialist housing schemes. Click here for more information.
YMCA YAC Talk it Over
Talk it Over is a Brighton based mediation project for 14 to 25 year olds that provides a safe space to talk and to share how you are feeling with a trained mediator to support the process. Mediation supports and improves relationship breakdown and has been successful in preventing youth homelessness. If you would like to know more or would like support with a relationship breakdown please contact us on the form here.
At Talk it Over we:
- Provide a safe and confidential space to talk
- Offer mediation or one-to-one support
- Listen and help work things out
- Work to support everyone
- Don’t take sides or give advice
How Talk it Over works:
- All support is voluntary and confidential
- We meet with each person individually and then if appropriate we arrange face-to-face meetings
- We support people to work together to find solutions everyone can agree to
- Support can be given over the telephone, here in our offices in central Brighton, at school or another location with a young person or during home visits
If you would like some support for yourself or for someone you know then get in touch:
If you are a professional and would like to make a referral please use this form and send it to:
YMCA Youth Advice Centre, 11 St Georges Place, Brighton BN1 4GB
T 01273 624432
Other support at YAC
The Youth Employability Service drop in runs on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1pm-3pm. This provides support for 16-19 year olds who are not in education, employment or training to find the right job, apprenticeship, college course or training opportunity.
YAC also accepts referrals through the Early help process.