The YMCA Right Here team have launched a social media campaign running throughout May to raise awareness about the importance of sleep and its impact on young people’s wellbeing. This followed feedback from young people that they’re struggling with sleep – getting to sleep, staying asleep & living their lives fully when sleeping poorly.
The Right Here team engaged with YMCA Right Here’s Project Champions and Youth Ambassadors, as well as Brighton University Media Students, asking them ‘Why does sleep matter and what would you like to know more about?’ They said:
– Sleep re-energises you
– The quality of your sleep impacts your mental health
– Drugs/alcohol effect sleep
– Bad sleep affects your mood
– Bad sleep can make you more likely to misconstrue things
– Your concentration and focus are affected
– Bad sleep can cause paranoia, anxiety, insomnia, overthinking
– The way you dream can show how you are sleeping
The key aim for this campaign is to raise the importance of the relationship between sleep, health and wellbeing.
You can find out more about YMCA Right Here and the Retreat to Sleep campaign on their social channels: